1. Our Mission
2. Explaining More: What is Grace & Who is Jesus?
1. Our Mission
To introduce people to Jesus & help them grow by His grace.
2. Explaining More: What is Grace & Who is Jesus?
Grace is God’s love made active through a free, undeserved gift. Grace then starts with God’s great & passionate love for us. But He didn’t just sit on His throne in heaven and make declarations of love, He did something about it – He made that love active.
The ultimate action and, thus, gift of grace is Jesus Christ himself, who is God’s gift to us. Jesus was God living in the flesh among people like us. Only difference is: As God, He’s perfect. And that’s good news because we are not…perfect that is. See from the time we were eating baby food, we’ve rebelled by saying (with our lives) “NO!” We’ve been saying “NO!” to a perfect God over & over ever since. So God (who is not only loving but totally just!) demands a perfect sacrifice. Jesus is that sacrifice –on a cross Jesus died while receiving God’s just punishment for sin so we might not be punished eternally. Jesus then rose from the dead to prove He was God. Therefore if we trust He died to forgive us & ultimately cure us of that “NO!” in our hearts, we can have a relationship with God and be in His presence forever.
So through trusting Jesus, we are truly saved by grace and then He heaps upon us all other kinds of graces to help us grow spiritually!!! (See: Fellowship with other people, the Holy Spirit, different gifts/talents, the ability to see all of life for what it truly is for the very first time, etc.).
Obediently living the Christian life is basically one giant response of gratitude to His grace.
3. Vision (how we envision accomplishing the mission)
Community –Glued Together For Everyday Living.
It is by grace that you have been saved through faith…..for [Christ] himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility (Ephesians 2: 8, 14; cf. Eph. 2).
BIG IDEA: As a response to His grace, we are committed to being a church who relates through faith in Jesus as the strongest glue that bonds us.
- Glued. Because of grace, we do not claim superiority over one another & thus we intentionally aim to foster multinational, multiracial relationships.
- Together. Because of the grace shown to us, we are committed to gathering weekly as a corporate body to worship God with one voice & to grow in His Word with one mind.
- For Everyday Living. Because of the grace shown us and the opportunity for Jesus to be exalted as the strongest bond between unlikely friends, we encourage members and attendees of SCC to become part of a Community Group in which we can more strategically put the “one anothers” of Scripture into practice – love one another, know one another, pray for one another, learn with one another, reconcile with one another, and keep one another accountable.
Outreach - Holding out a message for people through loving methods.
For Christ’s love compels us [to share the gospel] (II Corinthians 5:14).
BIG IDEA: We are committed to reaching out to the entire Cayman Community utilizing the most powerful tool available - the gospel of grace.
- Holding out a message: Through Jesus, God loves you as you are not as you should be.
- for people: We desire to reach out to all kinds of people – young, old, men, women, locals, visitors, Caymanian, Ex-Pat, the marginalized & the downtrodden. We especially sense God has specifically positioned us to reach both Caymanians & Ex-Pats in their 20s and 30s who question whether Christ & His church are still relevant to their lives.
- through loving methods: It is our desire and commitment to love and serve the community in which we live & worship. So we prayerfully consider opportunities to practically demonstrate a sampling of the unconditional love of Christ with the Cayman Community (especially our Adopt-a-School Outreach to Georgetown Primary School, but also Servant Evangelism, Financial Peace University, Women’s Crisis Center, Cayman’s ARK), while simultaneously equipping one another to verbally share Jesus’ message of grace & hope.
Worship –with our Bodies and our Minds and our Hearts and our Souls
Therefore I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship” (Romans 12:1).
BIG IDEA: As a response to God’s grace & mercy, we are committed to calling individuals to sacrifice all of who they are –body, mind, heart & soul –to worship & glorify the living God.
- With our Bodies. We aim to enlarge our appetite for Jesus, who gave his body on our behalf.
- and our Minds. Believing that His Word is grace to us & its central theme is the grace of Jesus Christ, we commit our minds to knowing God primarily through the study & preaching of His Word and applying it to everyday living so that we might grow to be more like Jesus & be further equipped to spread a knowledge of Him (Acts 20:32; II Cor. 13:14; Gal. 6:18).
- and our Hearts. In response to His grace which has set us free from slavery to sin, we aim to freely express our emotions, feelings, and love for God through avenues of prayer & musical worship (Ps. 150: 1-4; Ps. 141:2; Colossians 3:17).
- and our Souls. We aim to call individuals to live their present lives in response to future grace, Jesus’ final salvation when He will call us to Himself, do away with sin on earth, and transform these bodies into a far more glorious ones (Eph. 2:7; 1 Peter 1:10; 1 Cor. 15: 51-57).
Service –Serve one another with the resources He has given.
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace (I Peter 4:10).
BIG IDEA: Because Jesus showed us grace by serving us even to the point of death, we are committed to serving Him by serving His visible representation here on earth –His body, the church.
- Serve one another. SCC is primarily about God and secondarily about people. We love people. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but we do not view ourselves as a ‘program-centered’ church in part because we envision individual & corporate growth emerging from ongoing authentic relationships and networks of authentic relationships in which we serve one another in love.
- with the resources He has given. Because of the spiritual gifts (lit. “graces”) given to us, we aim to help people discover those gifts and begin using them to serving & equipping one another so that each member might work together as One Body. Because he’s graced us with time and money (including the mind, the strength, the will to earn money), we are called to give a portion of such resources to His Body for the ongoing work of gospel ministry.